I woke up in active labor at 11:42pm on Easter and Adele was born less than an hour and a half later at 1:09am on April 9, 2012. We were praying out loud in between contractions that God would slow things down enough for us to just get in to the hospital room and that He'd help me control the desire to push and not give in to fear and panic since I was obviously already very close or all the way to 10cm. He answered our prayers in perfect time. As soon as they checked me, I was given permission to push. They say it took three long pushes and she was out. That part is fuzzy to me. They laid her on my chest and after several minutes, I gave her up so they could weigh, clean her up, etc. She was 8 lbs. 6 ounces and 19.75 inches.

Our good friend and neighbor Kim Sokoloski came as soon as we called her (the cell phone says it was 12:01pm) and she stayed the night in a spare bed at our house with the older girls who were already in bed so we could get to the hospital more quickly. We were planning to take the girls and let them be there, but it was clear to me during my contractions that I had no time to even wait for the girls to get up and get shoes and coats on, etc. But Dwayne went to get the girls after dawn and we spent Adele's first day in our recovery room as a family, falling in love.

Dwayne spent the nights at home with the kids while I stayed and nursed Adele on demand and slept as much as I could in between feedings. He brought the girls back to the hospital after dawn. We had several visitors that second day; my doula Angel (who got there in time to help me through the last few contractions before the doctor came in to check me and helped coach me through the pushing), Denise Loeber, Ernie Hodgson and Jessica Greene. They all came bearing food and/or beautiful gifts. It was fun to hear their birth and baby experience and tell ours. We laughed a lot and Dwayne and I felt very pampered and loved.

The girls enjoyed unlimited graham crackers and apple juices from the kitchen at the end of the hall. They also had my fruit cups, yogurt parfaits, vanilla ice creams and slices of pie, etc. They are both already helping so much. Norah felt very important every time I sent her down the hall to refill my pitcher of ice and water.

We stopped for a family photo before leaving this morning. I am holding the flowers our old friends The Mahaffeys had delivered to our room. Note: Norah rearranged these flowers over and over while they were in the room, trying her hand at the art of flower arrangement. Norah peeked in the nursery windows (behind us in the photo) and made everyone laugh when she said, "Hey, look! There's an even cuter one (baby) in here!"

The baby nursed well when we got home today and she is sleeping currently in the beautiful bassinet I am keeping next to my bed that Jessica Greene is letting us borrow. Avril and I napped next to her in my bed. Avril and I woke up first, so we left her to rest and I had a moment to post these pictures before the baby wakes up and wants to nurse again. I think I may even have time to eat a plate of homemade spaghetti and meatballs and have some of the cake that our neighbors, Howard and Cheryl, brought over.

We are very thankful to God for his help and keeping. We're doing well. Please pray that my milk comes in full and fast and the baby gains weight. She has her first doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon. And please pray for my body to recover. This pregnancy and birth did a number on me, of course, but it was so worth it!


How exciting! Such a sweet little blessing. I'm so glad for you.
Take care!
Amanda said…
Congratulations! She is so beautiful.
Amanda said…
Congratulations! She is so beautiful- we wish you healing and rest! Prayers for you all.

Popular posts from this blog

Andrew Peterson's Songs That Celebrate Marriage and Family

Astronomer Shoe Boxes for Challenge B